Hard day at work? How do you switch off, relax and reboot?
- Sweaty workout or squash game?
- Quiet time reading or sofa snuggling with your favourite lab or tabby?
- Chatting to a trusted confidante?
- Release the pressure with a drinks in the local boozer?
Whatever your strategy, things that usually give us the best chance of a battery recharge are those that require our full attention. Giving us ‘time out’ from the constant mental chatter that might have been present throughout the day.
- Must remember to send that email…
- Maybe I should do another draft of the report…
- AWESOME IDEA to streamline that process…
- Did I leave the money out for the cleaner/feed the cat/get the lasagna out of the freezer?
The list goes on, and on, and on…
For me it’s singing. I LOVE singing. It’s a really cathartic way to release pent up emotions and let go of the day’s stresses. It’s really difficult to worry about tomorrow’s presentation when you’re belting out a power ballad (eyes closed, singing into the hairbrush).
Singing is good for you. FACT. We are social creatures by nature and need to feel connected to others. Another FACT. (Backed up by credible scientific research I’ll have you know). Kitchen karaoke or choir crooning may not be your thing but take time to explore what gets your mojo going. When you find it, carve time out to make it a priority, even if it’s just an hour a week.
Life isn’t always easy, but having that time to reboot and recharge with a seemingly purposeless activity is far from time wasted, it’s timeless. It makes time stand still and for someone with a busy mind, the benefits are beyond value.